Skip to main content

Edit, Edit, Edit

How cool is it to have my story professionally edited? EXTREMELY cool! Working closely with Omnific’s Jessica Royer Ocken has been a sheer pleasure. Because With Good Behavior started as a rather long story, I asked Jessica to help me identify passages that could be deleted to tighten the text, and she was a master at finding unnecessary or distracting elements. I’ve learned that sometimes I pontificate on psychological theory when describing my characters’ thoughts, feelings, and motivations. *shocker* We psychologists really do analyze everything to death, I guess!

Comments

Unknown said…
How long is the book, now, Jen?
Did the editing process consist (almost) exclusively of removing unnecessary passages/elements, or did it involve the insertion of text as well?
Jennifer Lane said…
I'm not sure what it will be after the final edit, but I think the end result will be around 300 pages, which is fairly reasonable. We removed a lot of description of character emotion if it was already obvious from the dialogue, as well as song lyrics. There were many places where my editor reworded passages and asked me to explain something better in the text. I thought we worked well together and were on the same wavelength.